Saturday, June 13, 2009

Personal projects: dragon design, creature design and a period painting





Here are some projects I did for kicks. Trying to ground the dragon in a reality with some dinosaur elements. Zbrush creature model test and paintover to try out a different process. It was an interesting experiment and fun to model. Threw in a period piece, and left my pencil drawing visible in the painting, which I don't often do. I love the feeling of drawing with a pencil, you can draw very linearly or broadly put down marks like a paintbrush. I just can't achieve that versatility of markmaking on a computer (without changing digital "tools"). But then again, it's a pain to archive pencilled drawings and keep them smudge free...and I have nowhere to store the stacks of paper...

Nihilistic/Konami's Zombie Apocalypse came out and demoed well enough at E3 that it got a couple of best of E3 nominations. 1 2 Good times developing that.

Anyway, I started working on EA's "Dante's Inferno" a couple of months ago, and it's a hella fun. :P Seriously, I can't believe how many talented artists there are surrounding me...inspiration is always nearby.